Sunday, June 28, 2015

That One Time In Slovenia

Let me tell you about Ljubljana. The air is fresh. There is nature all around and the river gives off a cool breeze. The temperature here is much closer to that of a Michigan summer. 

All the buildings are old and beautiful, decorated with extravagant detailing. The streets are filled with small cafés and people carrying ice cream cones. There is no way to deny that bikes are the most common mode of in city transportation. The shops all twist and turn alongside the river. There are tea shops and honey shops, toy shops and just about anything adorable you can imagine. 

As I went out scouting the area today I found a McDonalds, a vegan restaurant, a crepe shop, small bread stores with croissants, falafel, raspberry nestea, a place that sells pizza by the slice and watch out world- a wok Asian restaurant. I'm in business.

My hostel is right next to the dragon bridge and the castle is just behind it all the way on top of the hill. There are rides up a glass elevator you can take to get there though the woman at the front desk told me she suggests I walk.

I love the small town charm and the fresh air. I love the breeze and to finally not be drenched in my own sweat. I love that most of you reading this have no clue where Ljubljana or even Slovenia is on a map and yet here I am surrounded with Slovenians themselves happy and proud as could be to be Slovenian. It's still, even 25 years later, very evident of it's past history. The broad Slavic, Yugoslavian, communist, Napoleonic, Ottoman, Austro-Hungarian, fascist, roman and everything else under the sun comes through in the people the architecture, the food, the way of life, etc.

People have to cutest dogs here too. 

I've had a weird day, you know waking up in Istanbul, the first time in 2 months I didn't wake up in Spain, running to my gate in the airport getting on a plan to Ljubljana, finding my way to my hostel and getting all things settled. 

I'm not sure how adventurous I truly want to be here, I'm very tempted to just relax and lay low, get some sleep and work on my school work.

I'm glad that I'm here for at least 2 more full days. 

I'm currently on a park bench and two little girls are playing and pointing at me and in sync yelling beetz-kee beetz-kee beetz-kee over and over I keep smiling but for all I know they are saying ug-ly ug-ly ug-ly or stu-pid -amer-ican, oh the thrill of being abroad. 

Landing in the airport today though was a dream. Slovenia is picture perfect. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh how envious i am of you being able to travel and experience the world that is friendly and beautiful, wish i were there with you. I laughed when you said the kids are pointing to you and laughing beez-ke beez-ke if you find out what that means please tell us :) Stay smart, stay safe and remember i love you muchly, grannnny

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do sound happy, so therefore I am happy. It does sound picture perfect in Slovenia ( a tiny bit....teeny bit like TrCty?) ha ha....stay safe sweetheart....wonderful to hear how happy you are....beez-ke....(Keel her; keel her?) oh no....we hope not....love , gma gries

    ReplyDelete