Monday, June 8, 2015

A Packing Guide: To Anywhere

Busy as ever I haven't had much time to blog, but all that being said I'm still living abroad, stuck wearing the only clothes I brought and running out of my favorite secret deodorant sooner than I should have. As these little issues become my daily life I'm realizing how grateful I am for something's and how much I wish I had others. 

Here is my packing advice that all the blogs I read left out:

1) check the weather of where you will be  going- and pay specific attention to the time of year you are going to be there for. Even if you've been to a boarderkng country in the past six months- news flash the weather changes with the seasons in most parts of the world. And it doesn't take that much distance for the weather to change completely. 

A) Spain, or central Spain is HOT in the summer. Don't pack jeans and think oh all my shirts will just match my jeans! You never wear your jeans because you value your health and safety and then you are left with two tops that match your two other pairs of pants and a sundress or two. Summer in Spain? Plan on sun dresses, sandals, skirts, tank tops, not the kind you wear with a cute stylish scarf either, like tank tops you wear because you're sweating your life away. And maybe a light cardigan for the mornings. 

B) Delhi and Agra are much hotter. 

C) Kathmandu less hot, but I only know of summer months. 

D) Morocco is cold in the winter. Jeans and light coats will make you a happy camper, capris and t shirts- won't. 

2) travel packs of Kleenex have always proven themselves useful. Need to sneeze? Check. Need to blow your nose? Check. Need to wipe your butt in the middle of no where at a cow dairy in Morocco? Check. Shove them in your bra to sop up some sweat on a hot summer day in Spain, roll one up around a bra wire that's stabbing you. Wipe the sweat from your brow. Wipe dog crap off your shoe in the streets of Kathmandu. Clean your seat off at a less than clean restaurant when you're wearing white shorts. Okay so I've only used Kleenex for a handful of the situations but really when you neeeeeed them you'll be glad you have them. 

3) face cleaning/ make up removing wipes- every use I just listen for the Kleenex above and BEYOND. These packs clean ANYTHING you need to, life savers, really, truly mean that. Just think of how you'd feel after a flight from Philadelphia, USA to Doha, Qatar... 

4) simple/cheap flip flops. I'm talking the black Old Navy kind. The ones that match with everything and can go with shorts, sundresses, jeans, yoga pants, skirts, just about anything. They are comfy, your feet form to them, they aren't hot to wear, they don't leave bizarre tan lines, it doesn't matter if they get wet- can you say hostel showers. And- if they break? Oh well one less thing to pack for your return flight!

4) a sweatshirt, I mean it, maybe not the heaviest one you own, but almost any where you go a rainy windy day is inevitable at some point and being able to cuddle up in something so normal to you is the best feeling ever. Nothing like feeling cozy abroad. 

5) a baby blanket- small, thin, takes no space to pack and you'll use everyday. Blanket, sheet, pillow, towel, head scarf, and hey it smells like home, for the first few weeks at least. 

6) jewelry, when you don't have room to pack you're entire wardrobe at least you can mix it up and feel less frumpy with a cute pair of earrings! 

7) books. The real kind. When electricity becomes an issue, as it tends to abroad, have a hard copy of a book that requires no charging and you don't have to worry about it dying on you just when you get to the good part!

8) a side bag- sure while traveling all you care about is your suitcase but once you get their you'll need a bag for a day in the city, an over night bag for weekend trips, a beach bag, a backpack for class, or so on, think a head.

9) zip lock baggies. Everytime I pack my mother tries to tell me to take baggies and I'm always so confused as to why. I turn them down each time with disgust only to desperately need nothing other than a plastic baggie hours later. Make up, wet clothes, trash, handfuls of snacks, memory cards and camera batteries, really this list could go on forever and ever and ever.

10) food. I don't joke about this one. A box of cheese it's will last longer than you think when you know once they are gone they are gone until you get home again. Cliff bars make a perfect breakfast when you have no clue where to buy anything and it's a cheap meal you can eat anywhere. Fruit chews for when you get fed something nasty and need a sweet reminder of home. And if you have the space or the weight to spare a jar of peanut butter. Almost anywhere you can find a piece of bread or bag of pretzels or crackers and peanut butter is one of the rarest things to come across abroad. 

Now there: that's my list of truly helpful packing tips.

2 comments:

  1. I am a baggie person also, when your mom was little i would put six very wet washcloths in a baggie (was it a baggie back then?) and throw it in the back window of the car and when needed the washcloths would be nice and warm for use on hands, face, bottoms----before wipes. Mom's always have good advice especially grandma mom's :) Take care, miss you, stay smart in your travels.
    Love you muchly, grannnny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good smart listings Bri. I still carry a wet washcloth and/or the new wet wipes and my babies are in their mid fifties. tissues are a must as you get older too....absolutely a must, and pockets in clothing. Peanut butter and a spoon for me and I can last for days. Peanut butter & cracker pkges and hunger stays at bay. Almonds & walnuts do the trick also. Keep on keepin on Honey....life is good. Love, gma gries

    ReplyDelete