Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Fried ... Something

Today I went for a walk with Angela, Angelita, and Irene to walk one of Angela's student, Alfonso, home after tutoring. His mom studied abroad in Rodchester, New York for a year when she was in college I believe and so it was fun to meet her and speak a bit of English. 

I had a long day of very frustrating homework and Angela who is studying English and also a teacher felt bad, she tried to help, and to be honest it was very funny to realize I'm always living with a teacher wherever I go. 

Anyway after I looked rather frustrated she told me I'd been working for too long and after she finished with Alfonso we'd go on a walk. 

The walk led to the choice of seafood or pizza for dinner, of course I said "no me importa" it doesn't matter because let's face it I was just thrilled to eat out! 

Seafood it was and I had my first try of well.. I'm not sure what it was. But I was assured it was seafood and not "meat" (they are both very good about that stuff) Angelita started piling stuff on my plate to try telling me which I could eat the whole thing and which I could use my hands on. For someone who has never eaten what was served to us in my life let alone after 3 years as a vegetarian and only a few months as a pescatarian let's all give me a round of applause for just going for it. In Spanish the verb is probar- or to try, as in to try a fried calamari, and squid, and anchovies, and fish. One big plate of mystery fried seafood. With bread and sangria of course. I must say, it was delicious. Like really I mean that. Being a pescatarian has proven to make me quite the happy person in life, tonight validated my desicion. 

It was so fun to go out to dinner with them, they strangely feel like family. I've never had a family abroad that has so included me in their everyday lives as much as they already have. On Sunday we go to Angela's for dinner, all I understood was that this week they aren't having paella, Angelita was quite disappointed by this hahahaha. 

I could go on but it's late and I'm so exhausted. Really I am. Too much Spanish and thinking and school and translation and walking and heat and baby and weird food and being lost and too much. 

When we got home we took off our shoes and I showed Angelita my yoga mat shoes to say she was fascinated, thrilled, over the moon, enamored, would be a huge understatement. In a country where they only wear fancy heels and leather wedge sandals yoga mat shoes are probably the most comfortable thing she has ever put on her feet. 

She's amazing today she laughed at me until she cried on at least three different occasions. Really I love her. I can't imagine leaving in just 6 weeks. Watch me scrap all my travel plans to get to stay with her. Haha, unlikely but still. She is amazing, wonderful, happy and she feeds me well most of the time, but tries to feed me well allllll of the time. I'll have to spend time writing out small stories from my walks and adventures with Angelita later but for now voy a dormir, I'm going to sleep. Hasta maƱana, buenos noches.

2 comments:

  1. You maka me cry reading about your adventures and family you are staying with. I don't even know them but i love them, anyone that can make someone laugh until they cry has a wonderful heart. Love reading about everything you write and "seeing" all in my mind. Love you muchly, grannnny

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hear how happy you are Bri. gma & papa gries

    ReplyDelete